Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TiMER

If I were better at this, I would have clever and witty titles for my posts.  Ah well, practice makes perfect or something.

So, look up Jac Schaeffer on IMDB.  No, really, go ahead.  I'll wait. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2356614/  (Look, a nice convenient link.  I'm so awesome.)

TiMER is basically the only project he's ever worked on.  And I'm fine with that because it is excellent.

I'm not too into romantic comedies because usually nothing blows up, and I'm a sucker for explosions.  But TiMER has just enough of a semi-dystopic sci-fi feel to it that I was totally sucked in.


(This guy being so cute helps, too.)

Aside from John Patrick Amedori (above) (You might recognize him from Gossip Girl.  I do.) TiMER's little cast is full of semi-recognizable people like star Emma Caulfield (Buffy the Vampire Slayer).  I could list the rest of the cast, too, but I doubt you would recognize their names, just their faces.  A lot of people are either really turned on or really turned off by the lack of big names associated with a project, and I am completely ambivalent.  Caulfield's honest performance was compelling and unexpected for a lead in a romantic comedy and the concept was interesting and fresh.

What is the concept, you ask interestedly.  Basically, upon hitting puberty, everybody is implanted with a TiMER, a device that measures their levels of serotonin and determines the exact moment in which they will meet their soulmate.  Oona (Caulfield) has a TiMER that has never started counting down, meaning that her soulmate chose not to get one.  Then she meets a cute drummer (Amedori!) who is much younger and who makes her question everything she's ever conceived about love.

Basically, it's an excellent movie, available for instant play from Netflix (They really should pay me a qarter every time I mention their name.  Netflix Netflix Netflix.)  I think what resonated the most with me is the fact that TiMER makes you question the nature of love, but doesn't make you choose a pessimistic or optimistic outlook.  Que sera, sera, bitches!

Up next: True Blood.

And as previous mentioned, let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions for my already schizophrenic Netflix queue.

-Z.Cop.

No comments:

Post a Comment